Monday, July 14, 2014

Moving In

The move in process went about as smoothly as it could have.  Scott and I both arrived to Green Bay on Friday the 11th.  He had been working in Madison (the state capital) at his agency's headquarters for his first two weeks.  We weren't supposed to get keys to the apartment until the next day, but once I stopped in the office to ask where we could have the trailer parked later that afternoon, the office staff kindly let us do our paperwork early so we could get the keys that afternoon (and avoid staying in a hotel).  The trailer showed up not too long after.  The apartment was probably the cleanest rental I have ever moved into, and the office staff was very nice and on top of things.  I was really happy with how accommodating they were went since we found the complex online and submitted the application and deposit remotely.

The complex is located on the West side of Green Bay, in the Village of Howard.  It's largely residential neighborhoods until you leave the city limits and head back out into farmland.  I will post some photos once we get settled a little more, but you can see some complex photos here to get the idea.  We have a 2 bedroom, 1 bath apartment on the first floor.  Excluding the basement at our townhouse in Christiansburg, it isn't too much smaller for us and has good storage space.  The apartment comes with a one car garage in a detached building, and we opted to add a second garage to keep our cars safe and warm over the winter!

On Saturday the 12th, we started unloading the trailer.  We had to park the trailer off to the side in the closest parking lot in the complex, so there was a bit of walk to get from the trailer to our unit.  But at least no stairs!  I had booked movers to come at 1 PM to help, especially with the furniture- but, naturally, I didn't proactively call to confirm, and they didn't show.  I called to follow up and after a bunch of calls back and forth, they were able to find a crew to come by at about 3:30 PM.  The two guys (Matt and Tony) did good work, and with all four of us working on it, we made good progress in 2 hours.  We had the trailer unloaded by around 6 PM.

A few of our furniture items got knicked and dinged along the ride, but for the most part everything made it (except for 2 lamp shades and one cheap particleboard bookcase).  Now comes the fun part- unpacking everything!

Once the move stories are over and done with, I hope the blog can turn to more exciting and leisurely adventures!


No comments:

Post a Comment